Today is the day! The Manchester Machine Makers are ready. Games start at 8:00am. To watch the competition the Live Stream is here. Thank you to our friends, families and supporters Engineered Printing Solutions; TPW Real Estate; 4H Clubs #robotsarecool #firstinspires #STEM #womenengineers #uvm
We have gotten to work on our robot! Here is what the team has been doing this fall:
- We have been cleaning out and organizing our new space donated by TPW Real Estate that we are sharing with two local First Lego League teams: the Fiery Froggies and the Explore team.
- Also, along with the new space, we have welcomed some new members this fall: Amos, Jake, Zach, and Takoda. See their full profiles on the Team page.
- After finalizing our strategy and plans for our robot, we have documented our goals and deadlines for the season. Currently, our drive base is scheduled to be fully built by November 23, 2021.
- On October 24th, Randy Marsh, our engineering mentor, who has helped the Manchester Machine Makers before, attended one of our virtual meetings, giving a demonstration on different aspects and features of the 3D modeling software, Solidworks, which the team uses often to model its builds and custom parts. Helping the team further, he provided the team with valuable feedback and advice on our custom field element.
- On October 29 we met with our founding mentor Mike Cole to brainstorm ideas about our delivery system
- We fully constructed our half playing field for the competition. Additionally, we catalogued the parts we already had and ordered more for the robot.
- We received a donation and an internship opportunity for team members from EPS, Engineered Printing Solutions in East Dorset VT (see blog post, EPS Supports Manchester Machine Makers).
- We also have been working on the design of our robot’s intake mechanism, since it will be vital in Freight Frenzy. We can’t score points without being able to accurately and efficiently pick up freight!
- As of mid-November, we have finalized our custom field element, and it will be 3D printed as soon as possible (most likely in December). We have also fully finished creating a 3D model of our drive base.
However, this is just what we have done so far!
FTC Team #16221, The Manchester Machine Makers 4-H Club, is pleased to announce that Engineered Printing Solutions in East Dorset VT has joined us in a partnership of support and mentoring. Additionally, they will offer an internship program to team members for the 2021-2022 FIRST Tech Challenge Season. EPS is committed to inspiring our young roboticists, building a community of scientists and engineers here in Northshire.
The competition theme this year is “Freight Frenzy” and the team is busy designing and building a robot to accomplish the tasks outlined by the FIRST organization (www.firstinspires.org). FIRST was founded in 1987 by innovator and inventor Dean Kamen to promote STEM advancement for young people, and is continued and supported by thousands of volunteers and mentors around the world.
The Manchester Machine Makers is a 4-H Club with members in grades 7-12 from all over Bennington County. For more information about the team and Engineered Printing Solutions visit www.manchestermachinemakers.org and www.epsvt.com. Additionally, see EPS’ blog post on the topic at https://epsvt.com/eps-donates-manchester-machine-makers/.